One of the symbols of the island and its port, the Church of Santa Maria della Pieta, along with Terra Murata, one of the first visible elements from the sea to those after Procida. Erected in 1760 on the foundations of an existing chapel founded in 1616 by sailors and dedicated to Santa Maria della Pieta, it dominates the square of the Marina Grande. The building is characterized by a single nave inside along its perimeter open a series of side chapels decorated with multicolored marble altars, a style that we find often in the altars of the churches of the same period in Campania and in general South Italy .
Looking back at the top does not go unnoticed the decoration of the large dome painted with frescoes depicting the four Evangelists as many. On the bottom of the altar, surmounted by a nineteenth-century wooden statue of Santa Maria della Pietà. Outside, next to the beautiful dome which designs and makes only the physiognomy of Marina Grande, peeps a bell tower in baroque style with a clock with four dials.
via roma, 164